Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Lesson 5: Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks

 Lesson 5: Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks

Our assignment this week is to find a Sedimentary Rock, so I called a friend and we were off on another Geology field trip.  Today we headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon which is  just a few minutes southeast of Salt Lake City.  I've spent a lot of time running down this canyon so I knew exactly where I wanted to go to find my rock.





This area is found just a few miles up the canyon.  This picture shows the remnants of the old Bonneville lake.  The wall behind the sign is shale. Because shale is fine and crumbs easily and at the base you can see the shale crumbs from weathering .  If you look close in the picture below, you can see the silt and mud from the ancient shore. This build up of silt and mud then after compacted for millions of years results in Shale. Below are also the samples I found.  You can also see the thin layers in the shale.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Lesson 13 Climate Change

Lesson 13 Climate Change  Utah is warming at twice the global rate and is seeing more record setting rainfalls and a lower amounts of...